Friday, October 4, 2019

Craig Banks discovers charcoal magic on canvas!

My experience with charcoal on canvas.

I'm one of those artists who hates to try new things as I foolishly and unrealistically expect any new attempt to instantly be on the same level as a medium I've spent 20 years to perfect. (pencil on paper is my all time one true love) The frustration of creating an artwork in a different medium and realising its way below my standard made me almost go crazy!


Then I decided to give charcoal on canvas a go.
Bottom line... It works!

With pencil on paper, my portraits are neat and tidy, soft and subtle but with charcoal on high quality canvas, my work ends up gritty yet intricate, smooth yet full of stark contrast and most importantly I am happy with the result and in time will be equal to my pencil offerings.

I am still learning. I still struggle... Especially with the finer details that pencil work is best suited for and being self taught for my entire art career I prefer to develop my own methods that fit with my unique style. Earbuds for example.. Smooths out any charcoal smudge like a dream!


Big thanks to my dealer Art Canvas Factory for supplying my canvas needs... You have made the struggle awesome!

Craig Banks FaceBook

No comments:

Post a Comment